Order of Guelphia
|Order of Guelphia|
|Order of chivalry in Guelphia|
|Awarded by: The Sovereign
Motto: OMNIUM RERUM PRINCIPIA PARVA SUNT
Eligibility: Subjects of Guelphia
Awarded for: Exemplary lifetime contributions to the nation
Sovereign: James II
Chancellor: Prince Alexander
Established: 18 February 1838
Next higher: Eldest child of barons
Next lower: Guelphian Order of Merit
The Order of Guelphia is an order of chivalry in Guelphia, with membership awarded to those who exemplify the lifetime contributions made by many people to their nation. With the exception of the Cross of Valour and the Cross of Gallantry, the Order is highest of any honour that may be awarded to a subject of Guelphia. Created on the 18 February 1838, the Order was established by Alexander I to replace the use of the British Imperial honours system for worthy Guelphians.
Membership includes the Sovereign, Lord High Steward, and a limit of 24 Knight Companions at any given time. However, the order also comprises of several Supernumerary Members (Members of the Guelphian Royal Family and foreign monarchs) who do not count toward the total. The emblem of the Order is the Guelphian Horse, Guelphia's national symbol, which is seen on the various badges and medals awarded to recipients. The motto is OMNIUM RERUM PRINCIPIA PARVA SUNT (Latin: "Everything has a small beginning"), which also appears on the national coat of arms. The Knights of the Order are installed in an elaborate ceremony at Saumarez Chapel reminiscent of ancient ceremonies still practised in the United Kingdom.
The Order of Guelphia was established by Alexander I on the 18 February 1838, two years days after the establishment of the Kingdom of Guelphia as a British protectorate. The creation of a national order of chivalry was a natural step for local kingdoms under British rule, and can be seen as an attempt to emulate the prestige of the British order of chivalry, particularly the Order of the Garter. The Letters Patent creating the Order established a single grade of 24 companions, which would not be filled for a minimum of twelve years. This step was taken to allow for the political and social life of the nation to establish itself before such a prestigious honour would be awarded.
On the 18 February 1850, the King induced the first six Knight Companions of the Order. All of the foundation knights were the founding fathers of the kingdom, who had led the Guelphia Company at the foundation of the kingdom in 1836 including Henry Deveraux, John Lamberton, and William Percy. These first Knights were installed at a ceremony at Port Frederick Cathedral in November 1850. The installation was followed by a lavish one-off dinner hosted by the King and held at Government House to celebrate the creation of Guelphia's first order of knights.
Since 2012, 30 people have been appointed to the Order of Guelphia. Well known recipients include The Earl Braddock, Prime Minister from 1961 until 1975, and Lady Eliza Mallery, the leader of the Guelphian Women's Land Army during the Second World War. Other recipients include the scientist Sir Lloyd Jennings-Obquist and Dame Margaret Cummings, long serving Chief Matron of St. Vincent's Regional Hospital, Port Frederick.
- Main Article: List of Knights and Dames of the Order of Guelphia
The order consists of twenty-four knight companions. All knights are entitled to prefix either Sir or Dame to their forenames. When appointed, knights of the order have the right to attach supporters to their armorial bearings.
- The Lady Eliza Mallery DCG (1976) Guelphian Women's Land Army leader and philanthropist
- Dame Karen Eden DCG (1988), Writer
- Sir Hugh Denison KCG (1988), Footballer and sports administrator
- Sir Jared Mills KCG (1990), Natural historian
- Sir Thomas Santos KCG (1993), Theological historian
- Sir Austin Nicholson KCG (1995), Barrister and writer
- Dame Margaret Cummings DCG (1995), Nurse and Chief Matron of St. Vincent's Regional Hospital
- Sir Will Burgess KCG (1996), Architect
- Sir Michael Smith KCG (1998), Zoologist and businessman
- The Rt Hon. The Viscountess Davidson DCG DGCM EC (2000), Prime Minister
- Sir Ian Greig KCG (2000), Industrialist
- Dame Kate Emerson DCG (2001), Journalist
- Sir Paul O'Keefe KCG (2002), Poet
- Dame Louise Petersen DCG (2002), MHA, diplomat, and writer
- Sir Nicholas Jardine KCG (2003), Pastoralist and Master of the Royal Agricultural and Grazing Society
- Sir Allan Thompson KCG (2004), Civil servant
- Dame Samantha McClegg DCG (2005), Music conductor
- Sir Lloyd Jennings-Obquist KCG (2006), Pulmonary scientist and Master of the Royal Society of Medical Scientists
- Dame Melanie O'Hearn DCG (2007), Botanical conservationist
- The Rt Hon. The Viscount Tudor KCG KM EC (2008), Prime Minister
- Dame Jennifer Killen DCG (2010), Sociologist
- Sir Brody Neal KCG (2010), Barrister and diplomat
- Sir Lew Haines KCG (2011), Industrialist
- Dame Catherine Fox DCG (2012), Netballer and philanthropist
The King of Guelphia, James II, is Sovereign of the Order and the fount from which all honours flow. As heir to the throne, the Lord High Steward is the Chancellor and Principal Companion of the Order.
- Sovereign: HM James II
- Chancellor: HRH The Lord High Steward
- Dean: The Very Rev. Arthur Jones OM
- Registrar: Rhys Thomas KGCM
- Herald: Christopher Williams MM
Descendants of Alexander I, and their spouses may be made Supernumerary Knights of the Order.
- HRH The Duchess of Chandler
- HRH The Princess Consort
- HH The Duchess of Saumarez
- HH The Duke of Hyland
- HH The Duchess of Maridale
- HH The Duke of Copeton
Vestments and accoutrements
Members of the Order of Guelphia are granted the right to wear a variety of costumes for use on important state occasions and other ceremonies dealing with the Order. These various vestments and accoutrements include:
- A mantle (similar to a robe), which is made of ultramarine blue satin lined with white taffeta. On the left side of the mantle, over the heart of the wearer, is a representation of the star of the Order. The mantle also is bound with two large white tassels.
- The hat, which is a made of black velvet and is plumed with Moa feathers.
- The collar, made of gold, which is an unadorned three-piece chain with no other decorations or symbols.
- The star, as pictured above, is worn on lesser occasions, and consists of the Guelphian Horse on top of an eight-pointed silver star surrounded by the motto of the Order.
- The badge, which is made of both gold features the Guelphian Horse. Men wear the badge from a ribbon worn around the neck, while women wear the badge from a bow on the left side. In both cases, the badge is suspended on an ultramarine blue ribbon.
- The riband (or sash), like the mantle, is ultramarine blue in colour, and is worn from the left shoulder to the right hip.
Upon the death of a Knight or Dame Companion, his collar and badge must be returned to the King, which is customarily performed in person by the nearest relative of the deceased.
Originally located in Port Frederick Cathedral, since 1884 the chapel of the Order has been Saumarez Chapel in Kingsbury. The chapel, having been built as the private place of worship for the Royal Family, was dedicated to the order in November 1884 on the occasion of the annual installation of Knight Companions.
Services for the Order take place every November, with any new Knight Companions being installed as part of the service. As is tradition for any Order of Chivalry, a knight is allotted a stall in the quire of the chapel, with the occupant's heraldic banner displayed above his stall. Also on the back of the stall is affixed a stall plate displaying the occupant's name, arms and date of admission into the Order. When a knight dies, his banner is removed but the stall plate remains affixed as a permanent record.