It is possible to customize the navigation menu in the sidebar. (Unfortunately customized navigation menus do not work in the forums and other special pages, however.) Here is a step by step guide on how to do that.
1. Create a page with the name
username with your username. So if your username is John5, create the page
2. Click on edit and copy and paste the following:
* navigation ** Main Content Lists|Directory ** mainpage|Main Page (en) ** Hauptseite|Hauptseite (de) ** Hoofdpagina|Hoofdpagina (nl) ** Portals|Portals ** recentchanges-url|recentchanges ** helppage|help * SEARCH * TOOLBOX
3. Delete what you do not need and add what you want. A line that starts with a single * results in a new box with what follows that * as its title (as with 'navigation'). A line that starts with ** has a link: before the | the page name; after the | the link text (thus the text 'Hauptseite (de)' links to Hauptseite, the main page in German).
|To be clear, you're not supposed to edit other people's sidebar pages, unless they ask you to. This is considered a very serious offense. If you do edit some other user's sidebar without that user's permission - even as a joke - you may be banned from this website immediately and blocked from creating a new account.|
- Delete the main page in languages you don't speak from the menu.
- Delete the entry 'portals' and instead add links to the portals you use. If you use many portals list these in a separate menu 'portals'.
- Create a separate menu 'my pages' listing the pages that you work on or access most.
- You cannot add links to either the 'search' or 'toolbox' menu.
- Once again: one * for a new navigation/menu box; two ** for a link, with the page name before the | and the link text after.