Būģiakē Ruģiā

Geopoeia
Jump to: navigation, search

Būģiakē Ruģiā (English: North-Rugia) is a province in the region of Voskia in the Republic of the Vosks and the Gurds. It was formed in 1953, when the current administrative division of Voskia was created. Before that, it formed a province together with Jūşkē Ruģiā (South-Rugia), parts of Idacia and Divis. Būģiakē Ruģiā borders Idacia in the north, and Jūşkē Ruģiā in the south.

The capital of Būģiakē Ruģiā is Kvēvuste. The province's second largest town is Megvidz. In 2011, the province had 193,354 inhabitants. Its current Head of Province is Markus Viģkavs Avazes.

History

Būģiakē Ruģiā was once part of the historical region of Ruģiā, which encompassed a territory far larger than the province of Ruģiā before 1953. During the era of the Confederacy of Gurdia, Greater Voskia, Korfu, Avaza and Evaģa (1644 - 1739), Ruģiā was the most important duchy within Greater Voskia and its capital Rāģidz served as the de facto capital of the Confederacy, although the capitals of all parts of the Confederacy enjoyed equal status de iure.

After the Confederacy was conquered by Naples, Rāģidz declined slightly, but became important once again when Voskia became an autonomous kingdom within the Kingdom of Two Sicilies in 1816. In 1912, the island of Gurdia was conquered and Ruģiā expanded its territory with the nearest areas on the island that were inhabited by Voskians. After Voskian independence in 1946, Rāģidz became the capital at first, but significant reforms were necessary in 1953 to prevent the country from falling apart; Divis was severed from Ruģiā and transformed into a new capital district, and Ruģiā was divided into two provinces while some other parts were given to neighbouring provinces.